Continuum Attractions is passionate about sustainability and we strive to do the right thing for the environment, our communities, our guests and our team. As a tourist attraction operator we recognise that we impact on, and can positively contribute to, achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The goals of particular relevance to our business are as follows:
Our approach to sustainability is founded on the following core Group principles, which apply to all sites:
- Being an active member of local community – participating in cultural and historical events and attractions, using local producers and supporting local charities with donations in time, money and access to our facilities.
- Providing a supportive, fair and inclusive work environment where individual differences are embraced and team health and wellbeing is paramount. Our wellbeing programme includes an Employee Assistance Programme, mental health first-aiders, the cycle-to-work scheme, the flu jab and discounted gym membership. All team members are paid at least the national living wage.
- Making our attractions accessible to the widest possible range of people as practicable, and offering educational experiences for school children at all our attractions.
- Always protecting the health, safety and data of our guests and team.
- Respecting the environment and seeking to minimise our impact through energy and water efficiency, waste minimisation and recycling, and encouraging low carbon transport to our attractions.
- Avoiding the use of single use plastics where possible and being part of the Refill scheme to encourage and enable the use of refillable water bottles.
- Operating ethically and with integrity. Abiding by the letter and spirit of all relevant legislation, including prohibiting corruption and bribery in all forms, and respecting human rights.
- Being mindful of our supply chain sustainability impacts and implementing a Responsible Sourcing Policy to drive improvements in this area.
- Providing sustainability training for all team members and additional training, education and expert support for relevant roles as necessary.
- Communicating our sustainability approach internally and externally, and proactively seeking feedback on our approach though post-visit customer surveys.
Individual attractions are encouraged and supported to implement their own local sustainability initiatives to support the Group principles. At GreenWood Family Park these include:
- Embracing and integrating with the local community. We employ and encourage Welsh speakers and use some Welsh language on our website.
- Supporting local charitable causes through fundraising and access to the attraction.
- Having multiple trained mental health first aiders in the team.
- Providing spaces designed to boost visitor wellbeing, including the Snowdon/ Yr Wyddfa viewing platform and barefoot sensory experience.
- Promoting accessibility on site, with for example, support for those with physical and/or mental disabilities (‘ride assist’) and free entry for carers.
- Embedding our green strategy into the overall business plan and encouraging customer sustainability through communications.
- Minimising our carbon footprint through installing LED lighting, planting trees (c.500 per year) and installation of solar panels. We also have our own low carbon ‘people-powered’ roller coaster.
- Having bird boxes and bee hives on site to support biodiversity, and encouraging an appreciation and connection with nature through the on-site educational offerings and Forest School.
- Improving water efficiency through rainwater harvesting, dual flush toilets and sensor taps.
- Extensive recycle of all possible waste materials (where waste cannot be avoided). Waste oil is used to make biodiesel.
- Using environmentally friendly laundry products and avoiding the use of pesticides and herbicides.
Our approach to sustainability is overseen by our Group Operations Director.
We are continually evolving and improving our approach and will review and update this policy at least annually.
Signed by: Steven Lester